Suzhou Christian Churches
|Suzhou - Churches|
Easter Sunday at the new DuShu Lake Christian Church
Suzhou Industrial Park, April 4, 2010 (Photos by Rihann)
- Dushu Lake Christian Church construction (photos)
- 苏州独墅湖基督教堂内装设计获大奖 (Award winning architectural design/photos)
Suzhou International Fellowship
Suzhou International Fellowship is an English-speaking, inter-denominational gathering of expatriate Christians in Suzhou, Jiangsu Province, China. Sunday Service is held 10:00-11:30 a.m. at the Centennial Auditorium of the International Building in Suzhou Industrial Park. To comply with local government regulations, all meetings are conducted in English and are open only to foreign passport holders, their spouses and family.
For expats, there are two ways to attend church:
- Attend English-speaking expat church that offers Sunday worship and Sunday Schools for children and teens.
- Attend local Chinese-speaking Catholic or Christian churches that offer translation in English during service. See Suzhou local churches descriptions below.
At Suzhou International Fellowship, we have attenders from 20 countries worldwide. Since every attender comes from a different church culture, SIF offers a variety of worship formats each Sunday. No matter what format we use, we have amazing worship experience. For those with babies, there is a nursery on staff. Sunday School is available for children from preschool to teens. Children join their parents during worship time. Then they go to their Sunday School group.
SIF also offers men's breakfast, women Bible study, youth ministry and small groups, where Christian expats gather for a time of fellowship, singing, praying and studying God's Word.
Having the opportunity to attend church enriches our expat experience in Suzhou, China. It's an exciting time for us expats when newcomers introduce themselves every Sunday. How can we not be excited when we hear another family arrives from our home country here in Suzhou? When service is over, expats are busy mingling and getting to know each other. Not only adults want to connect, children also quickly bond to their new friends.
Being able to make new friends help the expat families feel welcome here in Suzhou. Some expats are visiting Suzhou for a week or a few months only. No matter how long their stay is, it's always good to connect to other expats in a foreign land. Attending church in Suzhou is surely one such way to connect.
If you wish to buy a Bible for yourself or your local friends, visit the local church bookstores listed below. Bibles in Chinese only or English & Chinese side-by-side are available only at local church bookstores. You can purchase many beautiful handmade Chinese Christian gifts both at the church bookstores or at Mustard Seed Christian Bookstore. Find a Chinese Christian to assist you or visit:
- Mustard Seed Christian Bookstore 芥子书房 No. 93 Shi Zi Jie; 十梓街93号; 65224682. This is a Chinese Christian bookstore on the same block as St. John's Church. English-speaking staff available.
Suzhou local churches:
- St. John's Christian Church [约翰堂] [Chinese Wiki] A special section at the top balcony on the right hand side is provided for foreigners. Headsets are available to foreigners to listen to translation of the service. Very cool! After service, lunch is available at a small fee. Sunday School for children, Adult Bible Study, English Bible Study, Choir, Youth Fellowship, etc. are available for the local Suzhou Christians here at St. John's Christian Church. This church is one block from Soochow University in Suzhou City.
- Bookstore Hours: Sunday 8-11 a.m. 65223346, No. 18 Shi Zi Jie 十梓街18号
- Apostles Christian Church [使徒堂] While this local church does not have English translation for foreigners, don't let that deter you from visiting. This is not a big church. However, every inch of available space, such as rooms, hallways, courtyard, are used for overflows of attendees. In the overflow areas, they all worship watching a big LCD screen. Their attentiveness will certainly impress any visitors. Sunday School is also available for children.
- Bookstore Hours: Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday 8-2 p.m. 61092522, 65227701, No. 130 Yang Yu Xiang 养育巷130号
- Shi Shan Christian Church [狮山堂] Shi Shan Christian Church is a must for all visitors to Suzhou. It's a few year old. Each service accommodates over 1000 worshipers. The church is built in a Gothic style. It's beautiful inside and out. There is a large building next to the church sanctuary where church ministries are held. A chapel for about 200 serves the youth ministry where young local Suzhou Christians gather to study God's Word, music and fellowship.
- Bookstore: Sunday 8-3 p.m.; 68787298; No. 105 Yu Shan Lu, Suzhou New District 玉山路105号
- Gong Xiang Tong (Church) [宫巷堂]
- Bookstore: Wednesday 1:30-2:30 p.m.; Friday 9:30-11 a.m.; Saturday 7-8 p.m.; Sunday 8-12:30 p.m.; 65224152; No. 20 Gong Xiang 宫巷20号
Dr. Bosco Ho, Sunday School Superintendent, Suzhou International Fellowship, 2007
Suzhou International Fellowship, December 9, 2007
Apostles Church, December 15, 2007
Shi Shan Tong, December 21, 2007